[Samba] Re: samba, RedHat and Windows XP Home

Bob Ramstad rramstad at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 10 18:37:44 GMT 2004

It never fails.  I've been beating my head against the wall on this for
a couple of weeks, send email to the list, and then the solution
occurs...  apparently this machine is running a default iptables
firewall, and for some reason unknown to me -- but presumably known to
the good samba folks -- the combination of Windows XP and Samba 3.0.x
will not work in this situation even though Windows 98SE and Samba 2.2.7
were completely happy with the firewall running.

I know the FAQ mentions testing without a firewall, and that's how I
caught this, but it might not be intuitive to people when upgrading from
98SE to XP and/or from 2.2.7 to 3.0.x that an existing firewall
configuration may no longer work.

I hope this helps someone else out.

(If anyone has a nice iptables config that allows LAN access
(192.168.0.x) to all ports, WAN access only to SSH, and disallows
everything else, I'd love a copy...  seems like the only way to
semi-lock things down given that I'm not sure what XP and Samba 3.0.x
are doing.)

-- Bob