[Samba] applying permissions to subdirectories using setgid doesn't do th e trick... :(

Heupink, Mourik Jan C. Heupink at INTECH.UNU.EDU
Tue Feb 10 14:13:08 GMT 2004

Dear list.

I have a problem that I cannot seem to get rid of.

I have a directory/share (on linux) called "smb" containing four
subdirectories. This directory will be 'exported' using samba.I would like
to have different permissions on the different subdirectories. This works,
except for this one directory (called temp) that I want to be read/write for
everybody.

Using force user etc in smb.conf is not an option (afaik) because that only
applies to a top level directory, and not to deeper directories, right..?
(please do correct me if i'm wrong here already....)

So, I tried linux filesystem permissions setgid and setuid to this directory
(temp). This works for the setgid part, but appearently setuid only works on
files, not on directories. Setgid is NOT good enough, because all files now
are owned by user 'users', but still have read only permissions to 'users'
group.

SO... Is there a way to make the directories below temp inherit all
permissions from temp, INCLUDING read/write by a certain group?

Or do you guys have other ways to get me where I would like to go...?

Thanks very much for your input.

Kindly yours,
Mourik Jan