[Samba] pdbedit and password expiry

David Wilson dave at dcdata.co.za
Mon Feb 9 16:32:47 GMT 2004

Hi guys/girls,

How are you ?
I've been struggling to get my users' passwords to expire.
My configuration is samba-3.0 running with the standard smbpasswd
back-end.

Everything that I can find on the web says I should set the following to
expire my users passwords after 28 days.:
pdbedit -v -P 'minimum password age' -C 300
pdbedit -v -P 'maximum password age' -C 2419200

Unfortunately my users never get prompted for a new password.

When I do a "pdbedit -v -u <username>" all the details come up, however
what I find interesting is the following:
Password can change:  Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:59:54 GMT
Password must change: Fri, 13 Dec 1901 22:45:51 GMT

What ever I try I cannot change the "Password must change:" line.
Perhaps I've missed something really simple here ?
Does this feature perhaps require an LDAP back-end ?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

--

Many thanks and kind regards,

David Wilson
D c D a t a