[Samba] Strange behaviour of samba-3.0.2rc2

Nishant Sharma nishant at deeproot.co.in
Mon Feb 9 15:42:11 GMT 2004

Hi!

I had installed samba-3.0.0-2 with openldap-2.1.25 on debian testing with
kernel 2.4.23. All the Windows 98, ME, XP, NT, 2000 were able to join the
domain as I was able to set the same SID as the previous version of Samba
that was installed earlier.

The only problem that arised was the Win-98, ME User list problem that was
posted on this list at
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2003-December/076483.html

So, I decided to upgrade the samba version. Now, I've Samba-3.0.2rc2 on
the same machine acting as domain controller. Users were not able to
login to the domain after the upgrade. The error being
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD. But when I reset the password using
'smbpasswd' command, they could.

On comparing the LDAP attributes of the users whose passwd I had reset and
of those I didn't, I observed that when the value of the following
three attributes are set to '0'(zero) for a user, he was not able to
login:
sambaPwdLastSet
sambaPwdCanChange
sambaPwdMustChange

In Samba-3.0.0-2, if these values were set to 0, the user was prompted to
change his password at the time of first logon saying that his password
has expired. But with Samba-3.0.2rc2, login was not possible. Only on
removing these three attributes or resetting their values, which is done
by 'smbpasswd', logins were possible.

It would be helpful if someone could enlighten me on this issue. Thanks in
advance.

regards,
Nishant
		Nishant Sharma, DeepRoot Linux, Bangalore, India
		  +91(80)28565624, http://www.deeproot.co.in

	Server Appliances. Solutions. Migration. Community Projects.
	Getting Linux to work for you. Faster. Better. Today. Everyway