[Samba] Supplementary Group Issues

Jason Gray jgray at bardelanimation.com
Fri Feb 6 02:38:02 GMT 2004

I was wondering if any one else is having issues with supplementary groups
not being recognized.  It seems as if Samba is ignoring the sup.groups.  I'm
using RH9.0 on Intel with samba-3.0.0-2_rh9 and OpenLDAP 2.0.27.  When I do
a "id -a username" the user is in all the necessary groups but when
accessing shares the users' primary GID is used only.

For example,

uid=1001(jgray) gid=512(domainadmin)
groups=512(domainadmin),0(root),513(domainusers),1536(SpiderAdmin)

can only access shares that are defined this way:

drwxrwx---    2 jgray     domainusers       48 Feb  5 18:12 test

But not this way

drwxrwx---    2 root     domainusers       48 Feb  5 18:12 test

The user jgray should have access to the share as either root or domainuser
but cannot.  user jgray can only access if ownership is either jgray or part
of group domainadmin.

Thanks,

Jason