[Samba] Solaris 8 and cups issues

Tim Russell timrussell at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:09:37 GMT 2004

Hello there,

I have a solaris 8 server running cups 1.1.20 and samba 3.0.1. We've
successfully configured a handful of HP Laserjet network printers to
work
with our windows clients (works like a champ...very happy with winbind
and
the "point and print" automatic driver installation).

However, we can't print from Solaris clients? We have one physical
printer
and two queues created (one for the windows clients shared with Samba
and
one set for Solaris).

The windows share is set up with "raw" and the client then uses it's
own
driver. The Solaris queue is set to HP and the generic laserjet.ppd.
The
windows queue prints fine but the unix queue prints nothing (it just
shows
up as a cancelled job under the cups web interface).

If I change the Solaris queue to raw as well, it prints out garbage
(but it
does at least print something).

One final note, we can't use the "configure" option in the cups gui
(localhost:631 and then printers) on shared printers. It gives a
"client-error". We don't specify individual printers in the smb.conf
file
(we just tell it to share all of them) so I'm guessing that the few
printers
I can do this too will stop allowing me to use the "configure" option
once I
restart samba.

Do we need to go grab  gimp-print for more drivers or is this some
other
problem?

Sorry for the long post (we're very close to getting this completely
working
and I'm rambling now :)

Thanks,
-Tim

=====
"Human beings act intelligently only after they have
exhausted the alternatives" -- Abba Eban