[Samba] mandatory profiles?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Feb 5 21:51:28 GMT 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Ivo Dancet wrote:

> I would like to setup a samba PDC with mandatory profiles for my school.
> I know that I can easily use them for XP (centralized) and that for Win
> 98 I have to put them in the user accounts. Now my question: do I have
> to put a profile in the user account each time a new user is made? Or is
> there a simple way of doing this. (off course I would link it to one
> profile, but this way I still have to link it myself...)
>
> (there are a lot of users, and each year 200 extra users should be
> activated, so it would be nice to automate this proces)

I have documented this in detail in Chapter 6 of my new book, "Samba-3 by
Example", ISBN: 0131472216. This book will be available in April and can
be pre-ordered from Amazon.Com now.

In summary, you need to create a group profile, set the appropriate
permissions inside it using the Windows XP profiles migration tool, then
install it in your PDC netlogon share (in the root directory) in a folder
called 'Default Profile'.

The whole procedure is a little more complicated. The book is your best
choice for now.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra