[Samba] printer management speed

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Thu Feb 5 21:09:10 GMT 2004

Hello,

We are testing Samba 3 as a replacement for our Windows 2000 file and print services. I have noticed that doing any printer management operation seems to take a very long time. Opening the 'Printers' share on the samba server takes 10-15 seconds and opening Properties for a printer has taken anywhere from 15 seconds to well over a minute depending on the printer. Performing the same operation for the same printer(s) on our existing Win2k print server is much faster at this time.

The only things I see in the syslog (default level of 0) are a tdb_fetch failed message followed by a 'couldn't find service ::{2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d}' message when trying to open the Printers share. If I have never uploaded a driver for a particular share I see a tdb_fetch message anytime I try to manage it, but I expect that is normal.

Our test samba server should be extremely fast, it has more than adequate ram, cpu, disk and network resources. I am using Samba 3.0.2rc2 on FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE with MIT Kerberos 1.3.1 and OpenLDAP 2.1.26. I am using ACLs.

Are there some samba settings I should look at to make this faster? I am concerned that the response time will be too much for some of our less patient staff, which would affect our ability to implement this.

If it helps, I have included a sanitized portion of my smb.conf file below. This has been created by SWAT.

[global]
	workgroup = DOMAIN
	realm = MY.REALM.EDU
	interfaces = lo0, fec0
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	security = ADS
	utmp = Yes
	idmap uid = 15000-20000
	idmap gid = 15000-20000
	winbind separator = -

[printer1]
	comment = Test Printer
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = '@DOMAIN-Domain Admins'
	read only = No
	printable = Yes
	printer name = printer1
	oplocks = No
	share modes = No

-Will

Will Saxon
Systems Programmer - Network Services
Department of Housing and Residence Education
University of Florida
Email: wills at housing.ufl.edu
Phone: (352) 392-2171 x10148