[Samba] massive performance problems if transferring many small files

steffen.k at gmx.at steffen.k at gmx.at
Thu Feb 5 09:12:43 GMT 2004

Hi,

If I try to transfer about 27.000 small HTML-Files from my Windows-PC to our
central SAMBA-Server I'll get  massive performance problems. First the
performance looks ok but after a time period of 3 minutes it goes slow down -
appr. one file per second will be transferred. Has anyone an idea what I can tune
to avoid this annoying behaviour.

My samba server configuration:

- OS: Solaris 8

- /etc/system:

* SunOS 5 Cache Override fuer ClearCase
*
*       ClearCase Vobs run out of inode tables and directory name
*       lookup cache.
set maxusers=2048
set ncsize=34906

*       ClearCase recommends that the size of a VOB host's block buffer
*       cache about 200% of the size of the hosts largest VOB database
*       file.
*       Default bufhwm is 2% ud phys. memory. We try 2% of 2048Mb
set bufhwm=46080

*       ClearCase MVFS-Tuning for large systems
set mvfs:mvfs_largeinit=1
set mvfs:mvfs_dncnoentmax=4000
set mvfs:mvfs_dncregmax=4000
set mvfs:mvfs_dncdirmax=1600
set mvfs:mvfs_vobfreemax=4500
set mvfs:mvfs_cvpfreemax=4500

* GE-Link Parameter
* Disable Autonegociation
*set ge:ge_adv_1000autoneg_cap=0

*Begin Tuning for max number of open files
*avoid samba error: Too many open files
 set rlim_fd_cur=1024
 set rlim_fd_max=2048
*End Tuning for max number of open files

- samba version 2.2.8a (64bit compiled)

- smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = AD-Domain
        netbios name = SAMBA01
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = <Win2000 Active Directory Server>
        username map = /opt/samba/lib/username.map
        log level = 1
        max log size = 2000
        max open files = 30000
        os level = 0