[Samba] Forced to use Winbind?

Jason Gray jgray at bardelanimation.com
Thu Feb 5 03:18:25 GMT 2004

I have a very wierd situation on one of my samba servers.  It is setup as a
member of a Samba/LDAP domain and I cannot browse the shares unless I have
the winbind service running.  I have 4 other servers that do not use winbind
and I can see those shares perfectly.

I trying to view the files from an XP box (which can browse the other
servers just fine) and I get an access is denied pop-up.  However, as soon
as I restart winbind I can see the shares.

I use similar smb.conf files for the servers, the nsswitch.conf file is the
same and the /usr/pam.d/login file is the same.

It seems as if fails the samba group mappings and skips to winbind. I don't
want to use winbind as it creates funky permissions on the folders and
files.  I don't use a win2k PDC so there is no need to have it running...it
does not make any sense.

Here is the error:

make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

Any thoughts?

Jason