[Samba] Samba 3.0.1a Cannot Browse Server

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 4 07:01:20 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 11:11, Norm Dressler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've migrated my samba 2.2.8/OpenLDAP configuration to a Samba
> 3.0.1/OpenLDAP configuration.  Things went well in the LDAP conversion
> using scripts, etc.  I've set things up using the new LDAP schema and
> not the compatibility schema.
>
> I can see the server listed in the machines on my workgroup.  I can even
> explicitly map a drive letter to a share on the new samba server.  I
> cannot, however, browse the server!  A windows 2000 workstation gives me
> the error:  The Server is not configured for Transactions.
>
> The log files have not been helpful for me in determining where the
> problem is.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  My smb.conf file looks
> like this:
>
> [global]
>         log level = 1024
>         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
>         os level = 65
>         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
>         ldap suffix = dc=dinmar,dc=com
>         ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
>         ldap user suffix = ou=People
>         ldap admin dn = "cn=root,dc=dinmar,dc=com"
>         ldap delete dn = no
>
>         workgroup = DINMAR-OTT01
>         netbios name = FPOTT04
>         server string = DINMAR FPOTT04 Server
>         interfaces = 192.168.40.246
>         encrypt passwords = Yes
>         null passwords = Yes
>         domain logons = Yes
>         domain master = 192.168.40.250
>         local master = Yes
>         hosts allow = 192.168.
>         security = user
>         comment = DINMAR FPOTT04 Server
>         guest ok = yes
>         wins server = 192.168.40.250
>         browse list = yes
----
I am still a neophyte at Samba 3 but I don't think that your 'domain
master = 192.168.40.250' is a valid option. Obviously, there is another
box that is the domain master...is that machine Linux or Windows? Are
you aware that you cannot run Linux as a BDC to a Windows PDC?  Are you
sure that you can run LDAP on this machine? Where is the PDC, is it
running LDAP too and on this machine, it is a slave LDAP server?

It doesn't seem as though you have gotten through some of the important
points covered in the Samba 3 How-TO

Craig