[Samba] ASCII problem ??

Blane Bramble blane at ungoliant.lyzard.net
Tue Feb 3 16:03:12 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:56, David.Herbert3 at morleyfm.com wrote:
> Hi
> Hope you can help me.  I have a problem transferring files from Unix to Windows NT using Samba,  specifically the CR\LF is missing from the files when they are transferred over.  In FTP I can choose the -ASCII option and all is well.  I can overcome this problem myself by using tr, unix2dos or sed to place the missing CR\LF characters.  The question is can Samba add the CR\LF via an option like FTP does
>

> Regards
> Dave

I think you are confusing file serving with file transfer - Samba is
designed as a file server - as such it is vital it does *not* make any
changes to files. The problem you have with transferring the files is a
result of file format differences between the platforms - if the files
are only being used by Windows machines then you need to look at why
they not in the correct format. If the files are being created by a unix
machine or process, then you need to look at how you can create them in
the correct format for Windows.

Blane.