[Samba] A samba locking question

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Feb 2 19:25:04 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 01:26:01PM -0600, Thomas Hannan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question to tack on to this one --
>
> How would I go about compiling Samba such that it either didn't pass
> locking requests (for file shares, not TDB's) to fcntl() and just
> handled these locks internally for the Windows clients, or at least did
> that for locks requested in the 32-64 bit offset range? If I'm not
> mistaken, I believe that was the default behavior in the 2.2 series, and
> looks like it changed in 3.0.0 (at least in my tests on linux 2.4.x with
> glibc 2.2).

Nope, Samba always handles full 64-bit unsigned locks internally. It
then passes down the parts that make sense to the underlying lock
system (be it 32-bit or 64-bit signed). Samba should already be doing
this. If it isn't for you then the configure test is screwing up and
telling Samba you have 64-bit signed fcntl locks when you really don't
(such as when re-exporting an NFS mount for instance).

Jeremy.