[Samba] DIFFICULT printing question SAMBA/WinXP/Cups

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Mon Feb 2 12:14:47 GMT 2004

hi there

following this guide
http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/printing.html#id2933004

i try to add network printers on clients via startup-script

my problem: samba should just be the "driver provider" and not spool
print jobs...those should go directly to the printers

it should just give the needed driver to the client and tell him, that
he should use a TCP/IP port and NOT the samba-printing-port

my script:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n "\\sambapdc\copy07.my.domain"
/r "IP_192.168.1.1"

192.168.1.1 = TCP/IP Port of the Printer "copy07"

but it doesn't work -> the printer maps perfectly but the port is "Samba
Printer Port" and i can't "add a new port", because "this request is not
supported"

hence the printer is not shared in my smb.conf (just the neccessary CUPS
entries to give a driver to the clients), the "Samba Printer Port"
points to "nowhere"

-- smb.conf snip --

[global]

    printing = CUPS