[Samba] (Idiot outside) - smbprngenpdf printer driver?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Feb 1 15:45:13 GMT 2004

> [Samba] (Idiot outside) - smbprngenpdf printer driver?
> Anders Norrbring anders at norrbring.biz
> Fri Jan 30 10:57:58 GMT 2004
>
> Well, I wasn't really awake I guess.. It's just a script that calls
> GhostScript for pdf generation..
>
> But the question still stands, what IS the best quality printer driver to
> use for GhostScript -> pdf printing?  We need both colours and high
> resolution..

You need to make sure that your driver produces good PostScript.
If you use the wrong "PPD" alongside the base PS driver, you'll
end up with a PostScript which doesn't contain color info, but
only b+w/grayscale. In this case your PDF will be grayscale too.
(Happens if you use a HP-LaserJet-8000.ppd or similar). I'd recommend
any generic PS printer PPD (like the Adobe distiller.ppd), which
doesn't have model specific info in it, but only page size,
color/grayscale and raster resolution selections.

Also, make sure to embed the TT fonts into the PostScript, and
let the driver create "DSC-conforming" PostScript.

The name of the settings in the driver GUI varies, depending
whether you use the Adobe or the CUPS or the Microsoft base PS
driver underneath your PPD (quoting from memory):

DSC-Conformance:
* "Page Independence: Yes"    (instead of "Page Independence: No")
* "Optimize for Portability"  (instead of "Optimize for Speed")

Font Embedding:
* "Use printer fonts: no"
* "Download as True Type"     (instead of "Download as Outline/Bitmap")
* "Slower, but nore exact..."

* and, maybe a few others...

Kurt