[Samba] Samba / CUPS / Drivers

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Feb 1 13:36:07 GMT 2004

> [Samba] Samba / CUPS / Drivers
> Anders Norrbring anders at norrbring.biz
> Wed Jan 28 16:13:43 GMT 2004
>

> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use different driver file
> downloads for different printers on the system?  As of what I can see in all
> doc-files I can only use ONE set of drivers for all added printers?
>
> F.x. I have one printer that is handled by CUPS' PPD system, and one printer
> that uses RAW.
>
> So, the first printer (PPD) should have its feed in postscript format from
> the Windows clients, so they get the Adobe PS driver

...or the CUPS PostScript Driver for Win NT/2K/XP Clients...

> set by download when
> they add the printer to the system.
>
> But the second printer that should be fed by the Windows clients already
> processed stream, that is, they need the printer manufacturers native
> printer driver for Windows.  So, they should NOT get the Adobe friver, but a
> different set.
>
> Is it doable?

Yes. The most easy way to do it is like this:

* install the native driver locally on the Windows client (use as the
   "print port" LPT1, just temporarily, for the sake of installation)

* then re-map the port by typing "net use LPT1: \\sambaserver\printersharename"
   into a "DOS box"

You can't set up Samba to "download the raw printer driver". If you set
up a printer on CUPS with no assigned Samba/Win-client driver deposited
in [print$], your Win-clients will always be prompted to install a local
native driver upon their first connection attempts...

> I run CUPS v1.2.0b1 and Samba 2.2.5.

CUPS v1.2.0b1 ???  Are you really sure? This is by no means meant for
production use. It is for hard-core beta testers only, who know what
they're doing, and know how CUPS works. I'd rather recommend CUPS 1.1.20
for you.

Samba 2.2.5?? This is rather old (nearly 2 years)... Can't you switch to
3.0.x?

> Anders Norrbring

Kurt