[Samba] Moving to 3.0.1

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Sun Feb 1 11:58:24 GMT 2004

We had 3.0.0 working nicely under OpenBSD 3.1. However, when we jumped to
OpenBSD 3.4 a few weeks ago, we thought we would also move to 3.0.1.  I
get the same problems with 3.0.2rc2.

There are 3 problems that appear to be BSD configuration issues, at least
1 of which has been raised before in an email on the technical list but
seems to have reappeared.  These are

a) what appears to be AC_CHECK_HEADER problems with configure

b) a demand for a complete installation of libiconv

c) configure appears to have lost the plot with 'quotactl'.

The results of our configure show

$ ./configure --quiet --prefix=/usr/local/samba --with-winbind
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: rpcsvc/yp_prot.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: rpcsvc/yp_prot.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: rpcsvc/yp_prot.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: sys/mount.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/mount.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/mount.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: Sufficient support for iconv function was not found.
    Install libiconv from http://freshmeat.net/projects/libiconv/ for
better charset compatibility!
got 2 interfaces:
lo0        IP=127.0.0.1 NETMASK=255.0.0.0
xl0        IP=172.26.11.150 NETMASK=255.255.255.0
OK
configure: WARNING: ldap.h is needed for LDAP support
configure: WARNING: Active Directory Support requires LDAP support
int quotactl(const char *path, int cmd, int id, char *addr) is not
reworked for the new sys_quota api
config.status: creating include/stamp-h
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating script/findsmb
config.status: creating smbadduser
config.status: creating script/gen-8bit-gap.sh
config.status: creating include/config.h
config.status: include/config.h is unchanged

With these errors, I don't know where to chase the issues with the include
files, or the 'libiconv' problem.

Also, I would assume that BSD, with its existing quotactl interface, and
no XFS, requires

	--without-sys-quotas

as a default.  What mistake did I make so that configure did not figure
that out for itself?

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 22/8 Campbell St, Artarmon NSW 2064
Ph:+61-2-99063377 .. Fx:+61-2-99063468   | unsolicited email not wanted here !
Views and opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer