[inbox] RE: [Samba] Windows XP machine cannot be accessed

John johndal at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 31 03:06:21 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Scott" <geoffs at guestshire.com>
To: "John" <johndal at bigpond.net.au>
Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 1:02 PM
Subject: [inbox] RE: [Samba] Windows XP machine cannot be accessed

| > All of the Windows machines have no problems accessing shares on each
| > other and
| > Mandrake. The Mandrake machine accesses the WinME an Win2K machines
| > readily,
| > but the WinXP machine is not visible on any utility I have tried. I can
| > ping it
| > OK. I have disabled firewalls etc in case this was the problem but no
| > change.
|
| OK so Samba is working fine? yes? The windows machines can mount the samba
| share off of the mandrake box? they get asked for a password and username
| which you supply and then you can browse the shares from the windows
| machines?

I do not get asked for a password. I still have some work on permisisons, but I
can copy files form Mandrake, but need to sort out write permissions before I
can write back. I use the same user name and passwword throughout and have set
it as the default user for LAN access.

| > I manually edited fstab and inserted what seemed an appropriate entry for
| > share on the XP machine. In Konqueror for instance an icon appeared for
| > the
| > share but when clicked up in was empty.
|
| I don't have a linux desktop machine any more but I used to do this in fstab
| (note that if the above is correct and samba works then this is an smbfs
| problem, and appropriate to that list, not this one) :
|
| #Samba filesystems, not auto mounted and any user.
|
| //ukldnfs05/shared_area /mnt/smb/ukldnfs05/shared_area smbfs
| noauto,users,credentials=/home/geoff/Crap/smbcred 0 0
| //ukldninstall03/allsoftware$ /mnt/smb/ukldninstall03/allsoftware smbfs
| noauto,users,credentials=/home/geoff/Crap/smbcred 0 0
|
| then inside of /home/geoff/Crap/smbcred I had:
|
| username=geoff
| password=doggyp00
| workgroup=dudenet
|

| > I have almost convinced myself that it must be some kind of authentication
| > problem, probably something basic I have overlooked and so simple I cannot
| > see
| > it. Can anybody give me some ideas please?
| > John
|
| these things are best done manually on the command line first to see if all
| is working well, from memory:
|
| mount -t smbfs //server/windowsshare /path/to/mntdir -o username=geoff
|
| If the above manual stuff works then it must be another problem.
|
| Tell us what you see.
|
| Regards Geoff

If I use mount at the console in the format you suggest I get asked for my
password and the XP share mounts and can be accessed (also through Konqueror
etc.) When I attempt to write the equivalent into fstab, the folder appears but
is empty. No messages. It has not auto generated a credentials file for the XP
machine as it has for the other machines. Inserting user=john in fstab is OK
for the WinME machine, but XP must want more. I guess if it cannot see the
machine then it will not auto generate the needed access files.
Regards
John.