[Samba] Upgrading Samba Print Server

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Wed Dec 29 18:55:48 GMT 2004

This weekend I'm planning on replacing my exisiting Print Server with shiny
new hardware.  (YEA!!!)

But I'm concerned about the 50+ users that I have connected to the 10
printers this machine shares.  Is there anything I need to do to make this a
quick/easy/painless process?  I know I'll have to re-create the printer
definitions in the CUPS manager, which should be no problem.  But I'm more
concerned about having to touch every workststation *after* the upgrade to
reconnect to the printers.  I need to know whatever I need to avoid having
to do that.

Currently the server is running Red Hat Enterprise 3 + Samba 3.0.9 + CUPS
and is a member server in my Samba+LDAP domain.  I'm going to be replacing
it with Debian Sid + Samba 3.0.10 + CUPS.

Any help, tidbits of wisdom, or other info will be welcomed...

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager