[Samba] Re: Samba share problem

Danny Paul jdpaul at gocolumbiamo.com
Wed Dec 29 16:47:02 GMT 2004

> ================================
> If a user belong to group 'a' logs into the windows PC
> he can access the folder "ab" but he can also see the
> shared "cd" folder. If he tries to access this "cd"
> folder he is asked with username and pasword. If he
> gives the correct username/password of a broup 'b'
> user he is not able to get into the "cd" folder.
>
> How can I make samba to allow users belonging to group
> 'a' to access "cd" folder when he gives the userame
> password of a group 'b' user.

I don't believe Windows will allow you to connect to the same server with
two different usernames.  In order to connect to the CD chare, the user
would first have to clear his connections to the AB share first.

To test this, try mapping drives using the windows net use command:
1st, net use * \\server\ab /user:auser /persistent:no
2nd, net use * \\server\cd /user:buser /persistent:no

If the 2nd command fails with "Multiple connections not allowed...." then
that is the problem.

Your best bet is to make another group of AB users that should also be
allowed access to CD stuff.  Then add that group to the valid users
directive.

All the best!