[Samba] smbpasswd

Olivier Navas olivier.navas at sdis33.fr
Wed Dec 29 13:48:06 GMT 2004

If I have correctly understood what you want to do, the simple answer
is: you can't.

The passwords stored in shadow file and in smbpasswd, though they may be
the same (in clear text), are encrypted with two different one way hash
functions. In order to put in smbpasswd the same user passwords than in
shadow, you need to compute the hash string from the passwords in clear
text.

The only reasonable way to achieve this is to implement some solution
that keeps unix passwords and samba passwords synchronized (such as what
can be done in smb.conf with "unix password sync" and "passwd program"
but there are many other solutions) and to ask users to change their
passwords once, so that shadow and smbpasswd hash strings are computed
from the same password.

Le mer 29/12/2004 à 13:26, Rodrigo Noroaldo de Castro Fernandes a écrit
:

--
Olivier Navas
Groupement Informatique et Télécommunications

-
Humor in the Court:
Q: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?
A: Yes, I have been since early childhood.