[Samba] Re: group policies in samba PDC for windows 2000 professional and xp clients

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Dec 28 10:32:19 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 08:23, Danny Paul wrote:
> I don't believe there is any way to create group policies on SAMBA domain
> controllers.
>
> However, you can make NT4 style domain policies.  Use "poledit" from the
> WindowsNT resource kit to create your policies.  Save the policy as
> ntconfig.pol in the netlogon share.  These policies will work with
> Windows2000 and XP.

I will be updating this information within the next month. There are things
that can be done to implement group policies with Windows XPP. In the absence
of real Active Directory it requires some gymnastics, so I will not attempt
to document the process here however keep watching the Samba-HOWTO-Collection
on the Samba Web site. I do not mean to tease anyone before it is done but
rather I am fishing for anyone who has managed to get group policies working
and who is interested in assisting me with the documentation of the process.
What I have so far mostly work - but it is a little ugly! So if anyone has a
nice clean solution I want to hear from you!

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra