[Samba] smbpasswd -w not working

Adi Nugraha adi at westindo.co.id
Tue Dec 28 01:29:46 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm tyrying to set up a Samba PDC with LDAP backend, i followed the
excellent samba guide on the chapter making users happy, the problem is
according to the guide when I execute the smbpasswd -w "secret" command, the
expected outcome is
Setting stored password for "cn=Manager,dc=abmas,dc=biz" in secrets.tdb

but what i get is

Setting stored password for "" in secrets.tdb

can anyone tell me what's wrong, I checked and rechecked the smb.conf and
slapd.conf and ldap.conf, there is nothing wrong, (at least according to the
guide), please help me with this, I've been stuck trying to solve this for
weeks now any hint is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance