[Samba] Upgrade to Samba 2.2.12 (HP/UX 11.11)

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Dec 27 19:56:21 GMT 2004

>> (ii)  I don't lose any of the configuration files that
>> may have been modified (eg smb.conf, private directory
>> etc etc).

How are you installed?  If your binaries are in a global slush bin like
/usr/local/sbin and what not then the best way is to manually back them
up.  I believe you're looking for tdb files aside from the smb.conf
file.  Creative use of find and tar would be your best bet... perhaps,
from / (root)
tar -cvf backup.tar `find / -name *.tdb`

If however, the previous admin had flexibility in mind, they could have
installed to a version specific location and then linked around the
problem.  For example, on our solaris boxes we install to
/opt/samba-version then link to /opt/samba.  That way our init scripts
always find it, and the old tree is always in place for a quick revert.

>> (i) The upgraded version is compiled with all the
>> relevant options.
>
>> I think
>> we also have the old source tree in place.

If that's the case, then you should be able to find a config.log,
config.cache, or config.status (seems to change from package to package)
and find the ./configure line that was used.  That should get you past
the configure part.  There could also be environment flags and what not,
but the configure should complain about libraries it needs if you are
missing some of them.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322