[Samba] Help with setting permissions for W2k box to samba

klubarpop klubarpop at emiboston.com
Mon Dec 27 15:32:33 GMT 2004

My apologies in advance if this is an obvious question, but I've googled and
checked in my copy of the Official Samba-3 HOWTO and it's not working the
way I think it should.  Perhaps some kind soul can point me in the right
direction.  Thanks.

Problems:
When I use W2k's set security on a DIRECTORY (right click on the directory,
properties, security tab) I cannot set the permissions for owner (user) to
read only; (I can set everyone and group to read/only); looking at the
permissions on the server they're not being set for user;

I can set permissions correctly for a FILE, but not for DIRECTORIES

Bonus problem: (I think I know the answer, but I'll ask)

Is there anyway to make a file/folder undeletable to a W2K user without
write-protecting the parent directory?

Details:

Version/OS:  Samba 2.2.8 on  Yellow Dog Linux on a Mac G3

Relevant config parameters:

	security = USER
	acl compatibility =
	nt smb support = Yes
	nt pipe support = Yes
	nt status support = Yes
	announce version = 4.9
	announce as = NT
	hide local users = No
	force user =
	force group =
	read only = Yes
	create mask = 0744
	force create mode = 00
	security mask = 0777
	force security mode = 00
	directory mask = 0755
	force directory mode = 00
	directory security mask = 0777
	force directory security mode = 00
	force unknown acl user = 00
	inherit permissions = No
	inherit acls = No
	guest ok = Yes
	only user = No
	status = Yes
	nt acl support = Yes
	profile acls = No
	block size = 1024
	hide unreadable = No
	delete veto files = No
	veto files =
	hide files = /Network Trash
Folder/icon?/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/Thumbs.db/~*/
	map system = No
	map hidden = No
	map archive = Yes
	delete readonly = No