[Samba] NTVDM errors after joining domain

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Wed Dec 22 14:52:36 GMT 2004

Hi all,

One of my very last users to move from the Novell server to the Samba domain
runs some applications using Rbase version 2!  Yes, we are trying to get away
from it  but it is taking some time.  Anyway he had local administrator on
his machine and the applications worked fine.  Now no matter if he has
administrator or not, he gets NTVDM errors.  If I try to play around with the
memory settings (in the DOS program properties) the NTVDM errors go away, but
the DOS prompt just disappears right away, even if I tell it not to close on
Exit.  This is on Windows NT that he is running these 16-bit programs.  The
two things that have changed are:

1.  The apps now live on an EXT3 fs instead of DOS fs.
2.  The user now logs into an NT domain instead of a Novell bindery.

The user's local rights are exactly the same, and the user's profile was
imported through Windows NT.

Any ideas would be most helpful.  Not surprisingly it is very difficult to
find anyone who knows much about RBase these days!

Misty