[Samba] Write performance of Win XP Pro sp2 & Samba

John Ward john at mbstemps.com
Tue Dec 21 22:17:58 GMT 2004

 I have a file testing program that creates, writes and indexes a file on the server from the Windows client.

 On xpp sp1 the program takes 7 sec to write file and 8 sec to read the indexed file.

 After telling the Firewall to go away I can get the following numbers from xpp
 sp2;

 29..30..45 (tested multiple times) sec to write the file
  and 7..8 sec to read the file. Any ideas on why the 'best'
 performance of sp2 is 4+ times worse than Windows XP Pro SP1?  I really don't want  to ship a system with this type of performance degradation.

As a side note; initally  the file write performance was in the  120 sec range,
17 times longer!! Why hasn't this been reported and/or what is strange about my
systems?

 ps. the Client hardware AMD1800+.... is identical on the SP1 and SP2 machines.

 Any help on this would be very appreciated.

 John.