[Samba] smbmount of XP share results in Permission Denied

Aaron Smith aaron at pandora-net.com
Tue Dec 21 21:39:58 GMT 2004

	Mark Hessling posted about this problem earlier but I (and he) have not
seen any reply to his original post.
	I was running Samba 3.0.0 on a Redhat 7.3 server for quite a while and
then recently upgraded to RHEL 3.0 and Samba 3.0.9 (3.0.10 most
recently).  Before the upgrade, I was able to, from the Samba server,
mount shares from an XP box.  After the upgrade, the mount succeeds (it
shows up the list of mounts, and the log file shows successful
authentication and no errors that I can see), but the mount point
becomes completely invisible and if I attempt to ls the mounted
directory, I get permission denied.  I can, however, do an umount
command and it completes successfully.
	I'm mounting the share as root.  The Samba server is acting as a PDC
for a domain and uses LDAP as the backend.  The XP machine operates in
the domain flawlessly.  I can log in, mount Samba shares, etc.  Further,
from the Samba server, I can use smbclient to log in to the XP machine
and browse shares, download files, etc.
	Whatever change is causing this was introduced in the move from 3.0.2a
to 3.0.3.  I compiled the source from each Samba version from 3.0.0 to
3.0.3 and then copied the smbmount binary from each in turn into
/usr/sbin and then tried a mount.  If the smbmount binary came from any
Samba version prior to 3.0.3 the mount worked correctly and I could
access it normally.  If I use the binary from 3.0.3 (or 3.0.9 or 3.0.10
which is the version of samba that all my other binaries hail from) then
I get the permission errors.
	So the questions now are:
	1.) What changed in the behavior of smbmount between 3.0.2a and 3.0.3
to cause this issue?
	2.) What can be done to fix it other than using an old smbmount binary?

"The pain of war could not exceed, the woe
	of aftermath.
The drums will shake the castle walls
The ringwraiths ride in black...."
	-Led Zeppelin "The Battle of Evermoore"