[Samba] Unix password synch

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue Dec 21 06:10:01 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 13:45, Anish Mathew wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any way to automatically update the samba
> password when a user changes his unix account password
> using the passwd command.
Short Answer - Yes.

> I want samba to look in passwd file for
> authentication. I dont want to create two accounts one
> for local unix and then for the samba.

How to get passwd to sync both Linux and smbpasswd

Update	:	Ow Mun Heng
Date	: 	Long Time Ago

The pam_smbpass PAM module can be used to sync users' Samba passwords
with their system passwords when the passwd command is used. If a user
invokes the passwd command, the password he uses to log in to the Red
Hat Linux system as well as the password he must provide to connect to a
Samba share are changed.
To enable this feature, add the following line to /etc/pam.d/system-auth
below the pam_cracklib.so invocation:
password required /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok
try_first_pass

This module is incorporated into the samba source/rpm package

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    required      /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nullok
use_authtok try_first_pass
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok
md5 shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

# less /usr/share/doc/samba-2.2.7/docs/pam_smbpass/README

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz