[Samba] samba-ldap-pdc, pam question

Mike Partyka mike.partyka at stonepath.com
Mon Dec 20 21:29:20 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am trying to follow IDEALx's "Samba3-LDAP PDC Howto" and am having
difficulty with the PAM configuration portion of this because i am
trying to install on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and SuSE does not
use the pam_stack.so module so there is no catchall system-auth file to
edit as the guide decribes.

Since there is not a system-auth file, i wonder would it be sufficient
to do the necessary edit's to the /etc/pam.d/samba file? I know in some
cases the /etc/pam.d/other file is used, when a specific config file for
a service is not found in the /etc/pam.d directory.

Can someone with a better understanding of the Samba3-LDAP PDC
configuration, give me a few pointers about which config files (lacking
the system-auth file) in the /etc/pam.d directory are needed to make the
overall setup work? And are the changes to these files the same as would
have occured in the system-auth file?

Thanks so much!

Mike Partyka
Stonepath Logistics