[Samba] samba ldap?

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Mon Dec 20 20:33:14 GMT 2004

Tim Tyler írta:

>   Samba Ldap experts,
>    I am trying to recompile samba to support ldap.  After compiling
> samba with --with-ldapsam, I had no errors with configure or
> compilation.  However, after starting up smbd and nmbd, I get these
> errors in the log.smbd file when I try to connect to the server:
>
> [2004/12/20 13:57:02, 0] lib/debug.c:reopen_logs(590)
>   Unable to open new log file /var/log/samba/smbd.log: No such file or
> directory
> [2004/12/20 13:57:02, 0]
> passdb/pdb_interface.c:make_pdb_methods_name(664)
>   No builtin nor plugin backend for ldapsam found
> [2004/12/20 13:57:02, 1]
> passdb/pdb_interface.c:make_pdb_context_list(765)
> [2004/12/20 13:57:05, 0]
> passdb/pdb_interface.c:make_pdb_methods_name(664)
>   No builtin nor plugin backend for ldapsam found
> [2004/12/20 13:57:05, 1]
> passdb/pdb_interface.c:make_pdb_context_list(765)
>

> Is this a problem on the samba side or the ldap server side which is
> on another server?  Any  hints about resolving it?
> I am just not sure where to begin to look.
>

> Tim Tyler
> Network Engineer - Beloit College
> tyler at beloit.edu

If you are trying to compile samba3.0.x, then you don't need to pass any
special configure option for ldapsam support. The --with-ldapsam
configure option is for enabling the ldapsam_compat passdb backend,
whith which you could use your old (samba2) ldap user database, until
you convert it for using the newer (samba3) schema. I would recommend
against using the ldapsam_compat passdb backend, as it there only for
compatibility, and is not well tested.

Cheers,

Geza