[samba] Adding Domain Groups to local Groups Crashed XP

Daniel Wilson daniel.wilson at sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 16:54:36 GMT 2004

Its just "frezzing", you cant do anything so a manual reboot is needed!

Christian Merrill wrote:

> Daniel Wilson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Im using samba 3.0.9 with LDAP (Sun Iplanet 5.2 directory Server).
>>
>> On an XP client, im trying to add "Domain Users" group to the Local
>> "Power Users" group (For windows updates etc...) However when i try to
>> add the group it just crashed the windows.
>>
>> Also if i use the usrmgr.exe to edit groups, the usermgr also crashes,
>> nothing in logs to show any errors.
>>
>> If i use windows 2000 pro to add "Domain Users" group to the Local
>> "Power Users" group it works but takes about 2 mins?
>>
>> Any ideas anybody?
>>
>> my smb.conf file:
>>
>> [global]
>>        workgroup = UNI-STAFF
>>        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://yoda.sunderland.ac.uk
>>        username map = /usr/local/lib/usermap
>>        log level = 2
>>        logon path = \\uos-stud\profiles\%U
>>        logon home =
>>        domain logons = Yes
>>        os level = 33
>>        preferred master = Yes
>>        domain master = Yes
>>        ldap admin dn = "cn=Directory Manager"
>>        ldap group suffix = ou=domain-groups
>>        ldap idmap suffix = ou=domain-groups,dc=sunderland,dc=ac,dc=uk
>>        ldap machine suffix = ou=domain-computers
>>        ldap passwd sync = Yes
>>        ldap suffix = dc=sunderland,dc=ac,dc=uk
>>        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://yoda.sunderland.ac.uk
>>
>> [netlogon]
>>        comment = netlogon share
>>        path = /usr/local/lib/netlogon
>>
> I was recently doing some experimenting with Directory Server 5.2 and
> Samba on Redhat AS 2.1 and RHEL3 and encountered a strange issue that
> sounds somewhat related.  After everything was configured perfectly,
> win2k clients could join the domain, log on and everything was
> wonderful.  However whenever I tried to logon to an XP client with a
> domain account, it would authenticate and then reboot the computer.
> It does not do this with OpenLDAP...I was never able to make any more
> progress on the issue and have since become sidetracked.
>
> Is your XP client actually crash (blue screen) or is it just rebooting?
>
> Christian

Daniel Wilson
Systems Administrator

IT & Communications Service
University of Sunderland
Unit1 Technology Park
Chester Road
Sunderland
SR2 7PT

Tel: 0191 515 2695

This e-mail contains information which is confidential and may be privileged and is for the exclusive use of the recipient.
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this message and its attachments are virus free.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University, unless otherwise specifically
stated.