[Samba] copy files to windows thru smbmount

Koenraad Lelong k.lelong at ace-electronics.be
Fri Dec 17 09:23:56 GMT 2004

Csere Mátyás wrote:
> hello
>
> i have this strange problem:
> i've ounted up a windows share on my linux machine, and tryign to copy a file to it, which is bigger than 2gbs, and it fails with a "maximum file size exceeded" error.
> the linux is running ext3, and windows is ntfs, so the size limit must be somewhere in samba.
>
> i've read on http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg10412.html about this.
> ive tryed 2.2.9, 2.2.11, 2.2.12, even one from the 3 series, but im still getting this error.
>
> i've seen in the changelog that it was fixed, but i cant figure out what im doing wrong.
>
> can anyone help me with it?
>
> thanks in advance,
> wd

What I understand from recent posts is that when you 'mount' a
samba-share on your windows machine, there are 'no' limits to the
file-size you transfer. Here you are using samba.
If you mount a windows-share on your linux-machine, you're not using
samba, but smbfs. smbfs has a limitation concerning file sizes. If you
use cifs (a replacement for smbfs, I don't know how you can do this
B.T.W., maybe load a module or so), then that problem is gone.
Again, these are my interpretations of posts on this list. Someone
correct me if I'm wrong.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong