[Samba] Temp fix for users getting smb_trans2: invalid data in messages log file

Des Dougan des at DouganConsulting.com
Fri Dec 17 06:32:53 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:26 -0700, Mike Lee wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  I was having this problem and finally found a temp fix for it.  The symptoms
> seem to be this:
> -->  You are on a linux client
> -->  You have mounted a samba drive from you linux client to a linux server.
> -->  When you try to make modifications or copy file from your client to the
> server, it takes a long time or times-out.
> -->  Your /var/log/mesages file states smb_trans2: invalid data , disp=0,
> cnt=0, tot=0, ofs=0
>
>  It seems that some CIFS code got trampled on during a smb kernel patch.  I
> believe this will be fixed in the 2.6.10 kernel (pretty soon I hope).  For
> now, you can add the following entry to your smb.conf file:
> "unix extensions = no"
>  This temp solution was posted to the samba listserver last month, but I
> thought I would post it again since it cause me a lot of headaches.
>  Cheers everyone.  Happy Holidays.
>
> Mike Lee
> --

Mike,

Thanks for the fix. Can I ask a dumb question - do you apply this to the
local or remote smb.conf? I'd assume remote, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks and regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support