[Samba] Re: Migration to Samba

ksun at ABINITIO.COM ksun at ABINITIO.COM
Thu Dec 16 15:53:05 GMT 2004

Basiclly you need to change the registry to point to the profile directory
to the old place. Here is what I got from the net a while ago. Hope it
helps.
-- Kang

Have you ever had a profile problem? No, not you, never. You have a laptop
or a regular computer the was in a domain, but now does not have access to
the domain. Below are the steps to allow you to control that profile
information.

1)      Logon in as WORKGROUP\USERID
a)      Check to see what directory gets created under C:\Documents and
Settings.
- most likely will be USERID.WORKGROUP or USERID.WORKGROUP.000
**** This is the path you will CHANGE in the registry in a later step
b)      Check old DOMAIN directory
? most likely will be C:\Documents and Settings\USERID
**** This is the path you will USE in the registry in a later step

2)      Logout & Login as Local Administrator or Domain Admin

3)      Add WORKGROUP\USERID to Local Administrators Group

4)      Check number of profiles under User Profiles tool
Windows 2000 ? Right Mouse Click on My Computer ? User Profiles
Windows XP ? Right Mouse Click on My Computer ? Advanced - User Profiles ?
Settings
Should see two profiles - DOMAIN\USERID and WORKGROUP\USERID

5)      Open Registry - REGEDIT
a)      Go to this key
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

b)      Find DOMAIN SID ? Look for the path in Step 1b to under
ProfileImagePath key

c)      Find WORKGROUP SID - Look for the path in Step 1a to under
ProfileImagePath key

d)      Highlight ProfileImagePath key in right-hand window for WORKGROUP
SID
Double-click and change path to match old DOMAIN path noted about in Step
1b.
- will most likely be %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\USERID
-         This path is case sensitive

e)      Find DOMAIN SID
Highlight SID in left-hand window and Delete

6)      Logout & Login as WORKGROUP\USERID

7)      Check number of profiles under User Profiles tool
 Should see only one profile now - WORKGROUP\USERID

This will also work if you are moving from one domain to another. Just
substitute new domain for WORKGROUP.