[Samba] Re: [proposal] Samba Software Foundation

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Dec 16 02:26:17 GMT 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:18:56PM +1100, Geoff Scott wrote:

> > Yes it realy sounds wonderful, and the basic idea probably is, but I
> > dislike the reiteration of personal tastes, and dislikes.
> > Imposing "if xy would say something negative about me I'll take my ball
> > with me and won't play again with you until you would force him to
> > leave" IMHO sounds too childish in an OSS software organizations ruleset
> > :-(

> > Cheers,

> > Geza Gemes

> > > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> I think the fact that the guy uses his full name says it all........

	Now wait a minute...

	I know Luke personally.  We're friends and I was invited to his
wedding and all.  He's not that bad.  For that matter, I always go by
"Michael H" in writing and E-Mail (H is for Harold and I really don't care
for Harold all that much) but everyone knows me by just "Mike".  Luke
is NOT stuck up or anything.  He can be a real hoot to hang out with.
He just uses his full name in writing.  So what?

> Regards, Sir Tiddlywinks Saturn Brigator Uranus Excelsior

	This is the sort of thing that the team members (and, yes,
I'm on the team) wanted to avoid.  Luke, quite often, has very good points,
and he is absolutely brilliant when it comes to many technical and
conceptual issues, but discussions do tend to degenerate into ad-hominen
attacks and emotional, personal, stuff, and get taken personally.  The
problems in the past were rooted in a lot of misunderstandings and
misperceived slights, where none was intended.  We (the team) wanted to
keep things on a technical level and avoid some of the dredging of
emotional issues of the past.  We all basically like and respect Luke,
we just don't want some of the old stuff raked over.  Especially since
it, invariably, ends up with people's feelings getting hurt, especially
Luke's.

	Let's just let it lay and get off the off topic stuff and back
to technical and samba stuff...

> (yeh, I know it's childish but it made me laugh)

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/