[Samba] Reverse Mapping

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Dec 15 21:10:09 GMT 2004

>Basically, need to sit at my PC at my desk, far from the server, load a CD
>into the CD-ROM drive of the PC and have it work as if the CD-ROM drive is
>actually a device on the Unix server.  Using Hummingbird Exceed as my X-Term

There are various methods you could do this from a Linux box, as the
tools are in the kernel, and there's also a smbmount listed in the
configure for samba, but again for linux only.

So the short answer would appear to be not using samba on solaris.
Perhaps MS's SFU package would help you out some?  I think you could use
that to share your cd-rom over nfs, or MS's implementation of nfs.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322