[Samba] roaming profiles from BDC only, not from PDC

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Wed Dec 15 13:14:30 GMT 2004

hi,
you can store your profiles on whatever samba server you want as long it
is trusted to
the smb domain, and the profile is known to the users i.e. ldap entries,
it musnt be a bdc
but resolvable by smb/wins and adjusted to use  the pdcs ladp data base
for auth.
But normally you will  use  this machine  as bdc too, cause it takes you
no costs.

In big networks you might prefer to store profiles on a (nas) smb server
which is best connected to
all  parts of the network , which has best network quality for all
connected clients local or vpn.
there are mount via nfs etc, to pdcs and bdcs from a nas server ( can be
a samba too )thinkable too.

In many bigger network the pdcs do no other job as auth for users,
homes and profiles  are stored elseware.
Regards