[Samba] Moving 1 share kills system

Daniel damn at fangartists.com
Wed Dec 15 07:52:35 GMT 2004

Hello,

A system has the following shares:

logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
logon drive = z:
logon home = \\macchiato\%u
logon script = login.bat
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/netlogon
writable = no
write list = domainadmin
# share modes = no
[PUBLIC]
comment = Shared Files
path = /home/public
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 2775
write list = @public
force group = public
delete readonly = yes
This works.  I copy the contents of /home/public to /share/public (share is
a new, larger drive) using cp -rp /home/public /share.  I then change the
path for the public share to /share/public, and restart Samba.

The users now login and get an error message saying that the system can't
find their roaming profiles.  How does changing one share kill their
profiles?

In the above cut from the smb.conf - what does %N stand for?

I can email the whole smb.conf if it helps.  Thanks in advance.

Daniel