[Samba] 3.0.9 homes share and read-only MS Excel files

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Dec 14 20:46:53 GMT 2004

Am Dienstag, 14. Dezember 2004 21:06 schrieb Michael Wynne:

Hi Michael,

> documents and when they later attempt to edit and save the document they've
> created it results in this message from Excel 2000:

Yes, this problem is well known and due to the strange way how Excel saves
files. Basically Excel does not overwrite the existing file but creates a
temporary which later gets renamed to the original name.
Unfortunately the file access permissions and ACLs don't get preserved...

The workaround is to use default ACLs. (check with the setfacl man page)

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n