[Samba] socket options and perfromance tuning

David "3oz" Sonenberg pip_prime at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 16:55:04 GMT 2004

I'm trying to do some performance tuning on my company
samba server.  Currently users are getting timeout
errors when trying to download large files <4GB.  I
was looking into performance tuning and socket options
looked like a good candidate.  In the Official Samba-3
HOWTO and Reference Guide it says, "It is strongly
recommended that before specifying any setting for
socket options the effect be quantitatively measured
on the server being configured." but does not give any
information on how to do this or what tools can be
used.  Furthermore there is little documentation on
exactly what each of the socket options does.  Any
help would be appreciated.