[Samba] tdbsam and variables

Marc Petitmermet petitmermet at mat.ethz.ch
Mon Dec 13 22:31:43 GMT 2004

> | First question: When "Home Directory" is not set in tdbsam
> | does samba  just use the setting of "logon home" in smb.conf?
> | And when it's set does  it ignore the smb.conf setting?
>
> You actually can't exlude these settings from the
> tdbsam records IIRC.  I'd have to go back and look again
> to be sure.  So the home directory path in the tdb record
> would always take precedence over the smb.conf settings.
> But like I say, I would have to double check this in the code.

I would be really glad if you could check this. If what you say is true
than the example "Big 500 Users Example" makes just no sense to me. The
example only uses a tdbsam backend and then the setting for logon home
and logon path could just be removed because it's the  tdbsam which
counts. And when we cannot use variables in tdbsam I begin to wonder
what the advantages of a tdbsam backend against a smbpasswd file should
be. Is this somewhere documented which backend supports variables and
which backend supports the settings in smb.conf and since which version
of samba? Thanks, Jerry.

Regards,
Marc