[Samba] Solaris: Linking bin/smbd, /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- E

Gordon Thagard gordon at eng.fsu.edu
Mon Dec 13 19:50:13 GMT 2004

Solaris 9
Samba 3.0.9
gcc 3.3.2 (from SunFreeware)
config opts: ./configure --prefix=/opt/samba

Hello,

I'm having some trouble compiling the latest samba. Even using
"--with-gnu-ld" as a configuration switch it still wants to use the
Solaris-native ld. Of course, the gcc from SunFreeware says as much:

"It was compiled to use the SUN assembler and loader usually in
/usr/ccs/bin if the SUNW developer packages are installed."

BTW, it was a standard install which means that the SUNW developer
packages *are* installed. And I'll need that stuff to compile perl
modules later. Being that I'm a Sysadmin and not a Coder, does anyone
have any insights? A google search only pointed to that fact that this
problem exists. There was no working solution I could find.

Here's the error message again:

Compiling smbd/server.c
Linking bin/smbd
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- E
usage: ld [-6:abc:d:e...

Thank you to any and all who may be of assistance.

Cheers,