[Samba] Machine confused about localhost

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Dec 13 19:38:24 GMT 2004

> I run rpcclient without specifying an IP address and I get the
> following error:
>
> # /products/samba/bin/rpcclient //localhost -U novosirj
> Password:
>
> cli_full_connection: failed to connect to //LOCALHOST<20> (0.0.0.0)
> Cannot connect to server.  Error was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> ...the machine knows what localhost is otherwise:
>
> ...anyone have any insights?

(Speculating wildly like I usually do)  I'd say that is because
smbd/nmbd don't register the name localhost at all.  When you say telnet
localhost you're asking dns to look it up, which usually responds
properly via /etc/hosts or possibly your dns server ( I think ours
responds 127.0.0.1 if you ask who localhost is).  When you ask for
//localhost you're asking for the netbios host at localhost, which no
one has claimed.

Try without the // or with //<servername> and see if that works out
better for you.

Sorry if my usage of nmbd/netbios is bad.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322