[Samba] Win XP logon issues

Kang Sun sun_kang at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 15:44:32 GMT 2004

Jeffrey D. Means wrote:

> when trying to log on to my samba server (3.0a24 with LDAP)  I get a
> message about the domain not being available or the machine account is
> not available.  In the event log this is what the Netlogon service
> reports about the error.
>
> ---
> The domain of this computer, MEANSPC has been downgraded from Windows
> 2000 or newer to Windows NT4 or older. The computer cannot function
> properly in this case for authentication purposes. This computer needs
> to rejoin the domain. The following error occurred:
> There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
> request.
> ---

Did you ever solve your problem?
I have exactly the same message. But my problem occur when I migrated XP
clients from a Win2K/AD to a Samba/PDC of the same domain name. This is a
correct message because the domain did downgraded to NT4 stile. The question
is how does it find the Logon Servers, what registry parameter to twist to
make it locate NT4 style LOGON Servicers?

Please send me mail directly at ksun at abinitio.com.

-- Kang Sun