[Samba] Followed John's book, frustrating smbldap-problem

Rolf A. Vaglid rolf at qt-developer.org
Sun Dec 12 23:40:27 GMT 2004

Hi all, Im having a hard time figuring whats wrong with my Samba-ldap
setup. I hope somebody may point out the error.

I've set it up according to John H. Terpstra's excellent "Samba 3 by
example". This book is also availible from samba.org, and chapter I'm
referencing is this:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html

I followed the book character by character, and it seemed to work.
I added two test-users, elev1 and elev2 by doing 'smbldap-useradd -m -a
elev1; smbldap-passwd elev1; smbpasswd -a elev1'. Everything worked
fine. I put elev1 in the 'Domain Admins' group to allow him to add
computers to the domain. Worked fine. I tried adding more users, but now
something is very wrong. I may have tampered a little, but I have no
clue to what's wrong.

If I try logging on an Windows 2000 machinge with one of the new users,
the logs says nothings wrong, but i still cant log on. Strange

"check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [mhervik] -> [mhervik] ->
[mhervik] succeeded"

If i do a "smbclient //FILSERVER/netlogon -Umhervik", still no error,
everything seems to be just fine:

tkelev:/tmp/smbldap # smbclient //FILSERVER/netlogon -Umhervik
Password:
Domain=[ELEV] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.7-5.2-SUSE]
smb: \>

As you see, authentication works fine, just not on the Win2000-clients.
May this have something to do with machine trust accounts?

To keep this email as short as possible, I've uploaded the needed log-
and conf-files (log-level 4) to http://www.tysvernett.no/smbldap/,
please give it a look and I'll buy you a beer if we meet :)

Clients: Windows 2000