[Samba] %U server-side script executed after user logs out - possible?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Sun Dec 12 16:54:31 GMT 2004

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Sunday 12 December 2004 09:08, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I ahve a Samba domain controller and Windows users in that domain.
>>

>>I would like to execute a script on a server for a user that logs out.
>>
>>For example, after user "joe" logged out, I would like to execute
>>/home/samba/scripts/logout/joe.sh
>

> Try the "postexec" option. The problem you will find is that not all logouts
> will send the instructions necessary to trigger this script.

What do you mean? Is it Windows-version specific problem (i.e. NT4 and
win2k with no service packs only), Samba-version problem (Samba <
3.0.5), or it just works like that and noone know why? :)

As far as I understand "postexec", it will execute each time after user
disconnets from a given share:

[profiles]
   path = /home/samba/profiles
(...)
   root postexec = /home/samba/scripts/logout/%u.sh

So joe.sh should execute after Joe logs out.

Considering what you said (not all logouts will send the instructions
triggering the script) - what may be a cause for such a misbehaviuor?

Tomek