[Samba] Copying between physical drives within samba mount - veryslow.

Mitch (WebCob) mitch at webcob.com
Sat Dec 11 23:55:31 GMT 2004

[Mitch says:] This is similar to Linux itself - if you were moving within an
NFS mount point, you would move... which I believe is commonly implemented
as a hardlink to the second location OR a copy if on a different physical
location, then an unlink from the old location...

Windows / SMB has the same limitation in the protocol - There is no "rpc
move" used (or even existing I think?) so it does what it has to do within
the protocol - you will of course see much faster throughput by doing these
major moves locally on the server box through a shell if that is an option
for you.

m/