[Samba] Re: PDC, BDCs - how do you synchronize roaming profiles?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Sat Dec 11 20:06:23 GMT 2004

gints neimanis wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>> As a consequence, this also means, that on each server there has to be
>> a copy of a profile of a given user, right?
>

> No, not right. The user roaming profile is stored only on one server.

So what is the sense of having BDCs? I guess the biggest load happens
when the profiles are copied; when there are hundreds of users, one PDC
(on which the profiles are stored) would be much overloaded.

Besides, Samba Guide chapter 7 ("Distributed 2000 users network")
describes a setup when users are located in New York, London etc.
different locations, which sounds just silly if roaming profiles were
stored for example in New York only.

> Maybe you may rename the each SAMBA server in each location in the same
> NetBIOS name, but the profile directory on each server is fetched from
> the central server over NFS.

I don't think giving the same NetBIOS name for different machines is a
good idea.

Fetching profiles each time from a central server when user logs in /
logs out doesn't seem to be good idea for me - what if company/school
etc. has two or more buildings, and they are connected only by a slow
VPN over internet/wireless etc.?

Tomek