[Samba] IP address given to WINS on a server with multiple interfaces

Oliver, Peter (Central-Networks) Peter.Oliver at central-networks.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 15:16:00 GMT 2004

I have a server that has one interface onto a private subnet, and
another connected to our LAN.  I found that the IP address in WINS was
the IP address of the private interface, so things weren't working.  By
using the "interfaces" setting in smb.conf I was able to force the use
of the correct IP address.

Now, I notice that the manual says, "By default Samba will query the
kernel for the list of all active interfaces and use any interfaces
except 127.0.0.1 that are broadcast capable".  Am I correct in thinking
that there can only be one IP address per server in WINS?  In which
case, which IP address does Samba report to WINS?  The first one it
finds?

To improve the chances of things working out of the box, perhaps it
would be possible to report to WINS the IP address associated with the
default route on the server?

I'm still running Samba 2.2 here (actually, HP's CIFS9000 product), so
apologies if things have changed in Samba 3.

--
Peter Oliver
IS Technical Environment Team

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432